Thursday, January 24, 2008

Uncertainty, Principle

It is a rough day for realizations. I cannot help but question what I've chosen to study, and whether or not it is what I should be doing. Sad thing is, it's too late to turn back now.
The issue of journalism has me torn. Today, in my Research & Writing class, we had to come up with story ideas. The same thing happened to me that always does: I could not think of anything. Which in turn, made me think.
Am I really cut out to go into journalism? Is this what I want to do. I have been told that I am good at writing, and I really do love it. However, with the issue of journalism, it doesn't seem to me that I have the sort of drive or attitude that it would take for traditional reporting and the like.
Now, the newspaper is a family thing. Three previous generations of Lowell have gone into the newspaper business, and I seem destined to be the fourth. Yet I struggle with the questions of what it will take, and whether or not my desires conflict with my obligations. There is no doubt in my mind that I need to get on the ball, if I intend to start out as a newspaper reporter.
I feel that the problem with getting a Journalism degree, is that they attempt to box you in, in terms of newspaper, magazine, or broadcast journalism. Would it be a significant step to go into either newspaper or magazine, and then switch? Ideally, I would like to write for a magazine, it's more my style. However, realistically, I would be more likely to start out with a job at a newspaper. But do I really want to do any of that. In all honesty, I really just want to write.
That means I need to start writing, and do it constantly. I have a problem with motivation.
Then there is the issue of my obligations. I feel obligated to, one day, go back home and to run the Concordia Blade-Empire. It is the family business, and I fear that when my father and grandfather are gone, that it will fall apart. I don't want to see that happen. The question is, will I have enough time to do all of things that I feel I could do, before I need to return?
And what are these things I could do? I don't know what kind of writer/reporter I want to be, not at all. I would love to cover culture, movies, music, that sort of thing. These are things that I have a bit of a feel for, and am quite knowledgeable about. But, these are trivial matters.
Many who know me could tell you that I am a very passionate about at least a few things. World affairs, politics, the human condition, all things that I have a great interest in. And I'm very opinionated about these issues. However, how do I, as merely a journalist, go about "saving the world" as I see it? Especially without compromising reputation?
I don't know the answers to these questions. At least, not yet. But I am going to make an honest effort to continue writing about them.
Adieu.

No comments: